Monday, August 2, 2010

Review: Ostrich for Safari

Apple's recent update to Safari brought us a number of enhancements to their browser; among one of the most notable additions has been extensions. Folks using Firefox or Chrome are already familiar with extensions and how they add functionality to your browsing experience. Ostrich is a Twitter extension for Safari that allows a user to keep up with their Twitter account without logging in on a tab/window or using a separate app like Tweet Deck or Twitterific.

So how does it fair? Here's what makes it work for me; if I'm browsing the web I tend to want to focus on the task at hand (i.e. I should be finishing this post) instead of obsessively checking to see if there are any updates - jumping between tabs or apps. Sometimes firing up Tweet Deck is a bit over kill; I don't plan on staying on my computer long enough to justify starting an app solely for Twitter when I should be checking my e-mail. Ostrich gives me the flexibility and a discrete enough footprint to do what I have to and indulge on my Twitter habit.

When a new tweet comes through you get a visual notification on your toolbar. Simple. Non-intrusive.

Clicking on the Ostrich button will bring down a drop down "window" displaying your timeline, mentions, and favorites. No fancy animations or graphical frills here - just a utilitarian interface that puts the info you're looking for in front of you.

Ostrich isn't for everyone though, if you're looking for a hardcore twitter extension that includes access to your lists, trending topics, followers, statistics then you should really consider using HootSuite. Again, Ostrich's strengths lie in its simple approach - have your timeline available to you even when you're not technically logged into Twitter.

Another feature that I'd like to see in future versions of Ostrich would be hyperlink shortening. I mean an extension that allows you to browse freely should incorporate the ability to (over?)share with everyone that follows you on Twitter. ("Hey guys I feel for a sandwich. http://bit.ly/9Zz3N3")

Overall, it's a solid extension that's worth giving a try. Ostrich may not have it all but it's a damn good start.

UPDATE: Check the gallery for some more screen shots.
Ostrich for Safari 5

No comments:

Post a Comment