Friday, August 6, 2010

Ono says, 'Oh No!'


Originally posted at SilverlingingOpticians

Growing up on of the first gadgets that I became enamored with was my father's stereo and record player. The records the wall unit's recessed shelf became my own treasure chest of classic rock, Motown, Stax Records, and The Beatles.

At this time in my life I was drawn to The Beatles' Yellow Submarine album (I'm sure it was the album artwork - tripping on acid and being 6 are eerily the same) and it instilled a deep love for music. Today, more than ever, I continue to be a Beatles fan as I dabble in music production/engineering - their recording techniques truly changed the way music was made and heard.

So no surprises I've been keeping up with the ongoing soap opera that is downloading The Beatles records legally via an online music store. Well if you've been waiting for the day (as I have), you can pretty much continue to wait. In what I can only describe as an effort to ensure no one will ever be able to make legal digital downloads of the Beatles catalog available to fans (new and old), Yoko Ono again cites an impasse (though never says what it is) in their dealings with Apple's iTunes Store.

Although, to be fair the deal would have to get approval from two living members and the two surviving widows of George Harrison and John Lennon, Ono (Lennon's widow) has been the most vocal of her resistance to making the catalog available for digital distribution. Hell to be honest I'm amazed that Beatles Rock Band ever made it for sale. Time and time again, Ono has alluded to John somehow being against the conversion from physical media to digital distribution (often being quoted as it being "what John would've wanted").

As a music lover, an iPod owner, and having spent too much on more than one "re-release" of the Beatles catalog, Yoko here me out for a second: If John were alive, he'd want a divorce and Olivia Munn.

No comments:

Post a Comment