Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Apple now selling unlocked iPhones

Well I'll be. I never thought I'd see the day but sure enough, Apple is now officially selling unlocked iPhones online and in stores. But there's a catch.

No I'm not talking about the $650 for a 16GB model or the $750 for 32GB model (shown above); the problem is that it is unlocked but can only get 3G speeds on supported networks. In the US that means AT&T's network. So if you plan on using this with T-Mobile or a regional GSM carrier you're pretty much stuck with EDGE. On the flip side of that argument, if you travel internationally, you may be better off paying for the unlocked model and avoid paying hefty international roaming data charges.

We here at the Poor Mac know you value your hard earned cash and ultimately you want to know, is it worth it? Honestly I'm not entirely sure. I've been using a Motorola Defy on T-Mobile for close to a year now and I miss having iOS. Battery life is abysmal, Google Maps just doesn't work, Android 2.2 was not available on the phone while everyone was getting 2.3 updates, and if you want to sync on your home computer, there's really no clean way of doing it on a Mac- everything is drag and drop. (There are third party apps to help you do this but that's like a car and being told the steering wheel is optional.) However, my fiance's Galaxy S works a lot better than the Defy, has fewer issues with getting updates but she's quite happy using iTunes for syncing her phone, buying music, and arranging playlists. For her an unlocked iPhone is a dream come true and worth every cent.

I don't think I'll be willing to drop $750, especially not for half the features, however $650 (the average unsubsidized smartphone goes for about $500-$550) and being able to choose your carrier does have its benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment